Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Act of Forgiveness


Hari Raya is always said to be the day that we ask/seek for forgiveness for all our wrong doings in the past year. I for one am a person who seeks forgiveness easily and I often cry when I do so. I get laughed at by my sisters when I cry while I salam my parents. heck.. I even cry when my younger sisters salam me. That's just me being the big old crying lady!

Anyway, sometimes I wonder, when we ask for forgiveness, are we really granted one? Or is it just merely an act? Has it become a mere routine during Hari Raya that we say "Maaf Zahir Batin" when we shook hands with our family and friends? Did we really mean it? And do we really forgive the person who is asking for it and are we really forgiven?

So with my mom, I always make sure I asked, "mak ampunkan ye" and make sure she said "Ye, mak ampunkan". Being unmarried, my heaven is supposedly to be under my mom's feet so as long as my mom's has forgiven me, I feel like the doors of heaven has opened up for me. :-)

Forgiving someone is a tall order. For some, it is easily given while some find it hard to forgive. For the latter, I wonder if they themselves have never sought for other's forgiveness. Are they a form of a higher being that never made any mistakes in their lives? For us as the servants of Allah, surely at one time or another had hurt some one's feeling. We surely had 'step on some one's tail" or "jerk some one's chains" So it just bewildered me to see how some people could hold on to grudges for years and does not grant forgiveness no matter how many times forgiveness is seek upon.

As we live in this world on such borrowed time, it is important that we seek and grant forgiveness whenever it is deemed or seek upon. Remember, Allah loves those who forgives and make amends.

1 comment:

Yut said...

selamat hari raya...maaf zahir batin....maafkan saya...maafkan tak?hehehe....
mai la rumah!!